Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dirt Cheap Entry into Gaming


I happened upon this while wandering about Amazon. There apparently is a glut of D&D 3.0 PHBs for less than a dollar. Add in the standard $3.99 shipping for used books on Amazon, and you are still below the $5.00 mark.

Anyways, I just thought it might be a good way to get like 4-6 books and start a new group up. I think Zak has shown us that we needn't be afraid of d20 D&D, and you can make it as simple or complex as you like.

I recently got back my 3.0 rulebooks that were out in limbo in one of those perma-borrow situations. After having played Pathfinder for a while, I was very surprised to see how low-power these rules were when held up against Pathfinder. Wizards have d4 hit dice, barbarians start out being able to rage once a day instead of like a bajillion times, etc. Plus 3.0 seems to have less focus on the use of miniatures than 3.5 (seems that way to me - not sure if it's really true).

Anyways, I just thought I'd pass along the information in case anyone wanted to take advantage of a superb deal.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, like 3 of these disappeared as I was typing this post! Anyways, it's a good thing to keep an eye on if you're interested...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, 3.5 tightened the whole miniatures dependence thing. A game with merely the three core 3.0 books, would be fun, but at this stage of my gaming career, I'd immediately begin DIY operations and there's no telling where it would end up. :)

    ReplyDelete

As long as this isn't nonsense spam, I'll approve your comment.